Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Hawaiian Barbeque

This is a variation of a recipe that I found on Pinterest but it didn't really have a name...and I could not decide on a good name for this recipe. Finally, Hawaiian Barbeque won, but here are some of the others that I came up with:

-Luau Chicken
-Pineapple Chicken
-Tropical Chicken
-Luau Barbeque Chicken
-Pineapple Barbeque

So, pick a name and make this! It's the easiest dinner I've made in a long time.

But first, some background....Scott and I went to Disney World for our honeymoon. We stayed in the Polynesian Resort and went to the Luau one evening. It was all you-can-eat barbeque and it was delicious....it was barbeque, with a little sweetness and citrus flavor. When I made this recipe, I immediately thought about the barbeque we ate on our honeymoon. Maybe the recipe should be called Honeymoon Chicken.

Or maybe not.

n175400500_30222372_8566.jpg (604×454)

Don't I look happy? You would be this happy too if you were about to eat this food. Oh my, it was good. (Please pardon the size of the photos. These were downloaded from Facebook.)

So, for your very own Honeymoon Luau Barbeque Experience, you need a crockpot. Throw in 3 or 4 frozen chicken breasts.

Take a bottle of barbeque sauce and pour it over the chicken. I used honey barbeque sauce, but any kind would do.

Open a can of pineapple, chop up the pieces in the can (or, if you're smarter than me, just buy crushed pineapple), and pour the pineapple with juice over sauce and the chicken.


Cook on low for 1-2 hours. After chicken is defrosted and cooked through, remove chicken to a plate and shred the meat. Place meat back in sauce mixture in crockpot and stir in two teaspoons of Caribbean seasoning.


*note: I bought this seasoning at Publix. The back of the bottle says that it's allspice, thyme, salt, onion, turmeric, sugar, and other spices. You could definitely make your spice combo if you wanted.

Cook on low for anywhere from 3 to 6 hours. I kept it in the crockpot close to 6 hours because I assembled the recipe before I left for work for the afternoon. I served it over rice, but it would be delicious on buns, or just by itself. Also, next time I make this, I will use just two pieces of chicken and a little less than the whole bottle of barbeque sauce. It was so much for the two of us but this would be fantastic for weeknight dinner guests or a football party.

n175400500_30222375_9583.jpg (604×454)

The hula is optional.

n175400500_30222378_645.jpg (454×604)

If there is a torrential downpour after dinner, I recommend fashioning a poncho from an extra-large trashbag and running through the rain, much to the embarrassment entertainment of your brand-new husband.

Enjoy!

No comments: