Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Turkey-less Thanksgiving

Early last Monday morning, Scott and I headed south to Florida to spend Thanksgiving with his Disney World! The in-laws graciously took us and Scott's sister, husband, and toddler to the happiest place on earth for the week and we had so much fun.

We visited every park and rode practically everything that you can at 8 months pregnant and Scott, with no word of complaint, pushed me around in a wheelchair so that I wouldn't have to walk too much. He's so good to me.

On Wednesday night our little 2 year old nephew was sick with a stomach bug. Then Scott's sister and her husband got it Thursday night. Then Friday afternoon, Scott's mom left Epcot because she wasn't feeling great. I suggested that since we were staying in the same room as Scott's parents, maybe we should head out earlier than planned if Scott's mom ended up sick. An hour later, we got a text message from his mom--she had it too. We decided to avoid the hotel room at all costs and we headed to Disney's ESPN Club to watch the Iron Bowl. About half-way through the 3rd quarter Scott and I realized that the sick feeling we were both feeling was completely unrelated to Bama's decision to give the game away. So we made the judgement call to drive back that night. We were back at the hotel about 7:15 and were on the road by 7:45. Scott was almost sick several times on the drive back but we made it home about 1:00 am.  Neither one of us was feeling well when we got home so we went to bed with a double-lined trashcan, two glasses of water, and a can of Sprite on stand-by. I even had Lysol and Lysol wipes ready in the bathroom in case we needed a middle of the night clean-up. 

I woke up about 6 am to use the bathroom. Neither one of us had gotten sick so far. Then I woke up again at 9:30, drifted back to sleep and slept til.......11:15. I am 8 months pregnant and I managed to sleep in til 11:15! I was shocked when I looked at my alarm clock this morning. It seems that both of us not only escaped the bug but I got more sleep than I have in a very long time--what a blessing! 

We're still being cautious. I sprayed the suitcase down with Lysol before touching it. All of our clothes from the trip are being washed in hot water. Toothbrushes have been sanitized. And after a quick trip to the grocery store, I'm back in pajamas and lying on the couch. 

So after a wonderful, fun trip with some wonderful family members, we're home and we're well. And I am thankful for that, even if I didn't get any turkey this year. 

1 comment:

Wanting What I Have said...

I am SO GLAD y'all didn't get it! I can't think of much worse than being pregnant and sick! Glad you got caught up on rest!